Tuesday 20 March 2012

Weather again.


     I got my test back today.  I only got an 80, but I will get a better grade next time.  We talked more about weather today.  It was pretty boring.

kukho imvula= there is rain
kukho umoya= there is wind/air pressure/evil spirit
-The people know the difference by the context of the conversation.
ikhephu= snow/fog
-I believe this literally means white blanket which is why it applies to both.
igabaka= frost
iinduduma= thunder
-There was no word for thunder, so this is almost an imitation of the sound.
inkungu= mist
imibani= lightening
-The word for electricity is umbani and imibani is technically the plural for electricity.
Ibinjani imozulu izolo?= How was the weather yesterday?
Agomso= tomorrow
 
He gave us some more random questions/words as well:
 
Ndicela...= I ask for
Ucela ntoni?= You ask for what?
Layila= turn on
Cima= turn off
Ukhona umbuzo?= Is there a question?
Unombuzo?= Do you have a question?
Andinambuzo= I don't have a question.
Ndinombuzo= I have a question.
 
I also learned about the origin of the Xhosa language that I am learning.  Xhosa was never written down before the missionaries came.  When they came they heard two dialects of it: Gcaleka and Rharhabe.  They combined these two languages and wrote them down.  This created what is called formal isiXhosa.  There are still a lot of other dialects, but they are considered slang or street isiXhosa.  That's about it.  Hamba Kakuhle.

No comments:

Post a Comment