Monday 26 March 2012

Cape Town Carnival

     I can't remember as much as I should, but I will post pictures and explanations.  I know I haven't posted in a while, so I am going to do a post on the Cape Town Carnival and then another one for Sunday and today.  I am going to do that one after the Rugby game.
65 people on the bus...way crowded.
Stellenbosch from the highway
I know it's weird that I put a picture of katchup on the blog, but it was in a super weird container.
In front of the African Trading Post.  This is one of the store that cell the crafts that the tribal Africans make.
This is Tyler's water buffalo.  He seems fascinated by everything here that is made out of wire coat hangers.  This buffalo is only made of wire coat hangers and beads.  It's pretty impressive.
Rooster for my mom.
One of the locals told me that when we start seeing a lot of the fog come over the mountain that it means winter is close.
These guys were singing at the mall, so I wanted a picture with them.
Sunset at Cape Town
Waterfront Mall
Stadium
The Carnival (parade) begins.
I am pretty sure these girls were naked, but just painted.
The point of the Cape Town Carnival is to show all the many cultures of South Africa and especially Cape Town.  When you see the women in very elaborate dresses they are just representing them.
For those who don't know, Cape Town has a very large homosexual population and has called itself the Pink city (Or something like that).  This is a drag queen!  These guys were so fun!
This is their flower.
I think I have mentioned this before, but South African taxi drivers are crazy.  This taxi was made out of I don't know what and the people inside were fake driving it like they were in a bumper car!  They were so funny.
This is supposed to be a representation of Mother Africa.
I know these pictures are dark, but these women are dressed in Indian dresses.  There is a very large Indian population in South Africa.

This will be a long caption.  I met a woman on the way to the parade and we ended up hanging out the whole evening.  She was telling me about how people from Cape Town look at Stellenbosch.  First of all, they look at it like it's a party school, but other than that she had some interesting perspectives.  They call the people from Stellenbosch the Afrikaaners and she said that most people view them as way behind in time.  She said a lot of people in Cape Town don't speak Afrikaans because of it being considered the language of the oppressors.  She didn't seem ignorant like some of the other people I have met which was really nice to see.  She says that Stellenbosch is very different than any other place in South Africa which I never considered.  She was a really nice woman and it was fun to hang out with a local during the Cape Town Carnival.



No comments:

Post a Comment