Monday 12 March 2012

More room!


     I was so tired when I woke up today!!  We stayed up last night to watch the Selection Show, so we didn’t get to bed until around 1am.  The train was on time today!!  I normally feel like I have a lot of energy on Mondays because I get so excited to work with the kids, but my excitement couldn’t seem to wake me up completely.  Luckily I got some energy once the class actually started.  We talked more in detail about periods during class and then we went into a lesson about sex and pregnancy.  Any men reading thing: the rest of this paragraph is about what we talked about.  If you don’t want to read it, then skip to the next paragraph.  I know it was a lot of information for the girls, but we only have so much time with them and it’s something the Principal wanted us to talk to them about.  I was surprised how little they know about exactly how to get pregnant.  They also didn’t know a lot about their periods.  Only one of the girls knew how to put a tampon in.  We went over the basics with them and went into detail about the stuff they wanted to know more about.  We then divided them into three groups so we could give them a chance to talk about something they may not want to have said in the middle of class.  They asked me if strong wine caused abortions.  I told them that it could cause a miscarriage, but it’s not a definite and that it would most likely cause fetal alcohol syndrome.  They said that’s what women who don’t want their baby do here.  That’s pretty scary.
     My second class was much more fun.  We taught them about Michelangelo and the Renaissance.  We then painted and just had some fun.  I took some pictures of their paintings.  
This is Ruben's painting.  I like this one a lot.
      Tyler is going to write about his classes now.  For class we had the kids continue to draw on their passports and this week we talked about Asia. Then we had them do pen pal letters to kids at an elementary school where somebody from my group's mom teaches at. They enjoyed that although it is hard for them to write in English. A more important announcement is that the NCAA tournament will be on TV here all weekend.
     Since we have been home the only cool things that have happened is the skype session I had with Julia and we got a new bed.  There is so much more room!  We originally had two twin beds put together, but now we have a queen.  We moved the bed which leaves a place that we can almost consider a living room.
    
 That’s about it for us.  Hamba Kukuhle.

No comments:

Post a Comment