Monday 14 May 2012

Last Class with the Kids

     Sorry I haven't posted recently.  The only cool thing to mention is Mother's Day.  Tyler was so sweet even though I am not technically a Mom yet.  He said I was Diesel's Mom. =]  He got me flowers and actually fried me some shrimp and made mashed potatos.  Other than that I have nothing really to catch y'all up on.
     Today was kinda sad for me.  We had the last lesson with our kids.  We started with the girls.  We asked them to do this little game with a ball of yarn where you throw it around to each person (which ends up making a web) and every time you throw it to someone you had to compliment them.  It went really well and then we asked them to write a letter to their future self.  They actually took this really seriously and some even wrote front and back.
     When we combined with the boys we just had a party day.  They brought chips and we brought grilled cheese stuff and drinks.  Everything was going super smoothly.  Most of them just wanted to take pictures with us.  Vanessa has the pictures on her camera, so I will get them next time I see her.  We also did the rock ceremony thing we started last week.  One of the kids, Kusanda, insisted that he was the one to put my rock on the pile of rocks.  I later found out that he did this so he could go back and take my rock to bring it home with him.  He informed me that he was going to put it under his pillow.  I may miss him the most.  At the end of this class a few or our kids started to cry, which was really sad and it made me start to tear up as well.  Michelle (one of our kids) went to a corner and was crying pretty hard.  It pretty much broke my heart.  I am glad we are writing them all individual letters.
     Here is what Tyler has to say, "Today for the last day of class we finished the paper mache globes that they had been making the past few weeks. We printed out a sheet of paper of the continents, so they colored, cut and pasted them on the already painted globe. For the second part of class we all just went outside and played soccer and kickball. All of the kids wrote each of us letters and gave them to us, saying thank you and how much they are going to miss us. It was really nice of them to do it."
     After our classes we did a few recordings for our Documentary.  I will bring a copy home because it's 30 minutes long, so I will not post it on the blog because it would literally take days to download.  Tomorrow is my Xhosa oral exam, so I am going to get to practicing.  Hamba Kakuhle.

No comments:

Post a Comment