Saturday 21 April 2012

Stellenbosch Market =]

     We went to Stellenbosch Market today because I wanted to get something I saw a while back for Mom.  Before we went to the market we stopped at Mugg and Bean to grab some food.  I got a sloppy joe and it was really good, but it had something sweet in it that I couldn't figure out.  A lot of things here have random sweet stuff in them such as salsa.  I know there are salsas back home that are sweet, but ALL the salsas here have something sweet in them.  It's not bad, but I can only eat so much of it.
     As Tyler was paying, I walked over to the market (it was literally right next to it).  One of the women who I spoke to last time I was there, Martha, actually remembered me.  I was pretty surprised.  We talked for awhile before Tyler came over.  She has two kids, a boy who is 7 and a girl who is 4.  Apparently the boy is quite a trouble maker.  She even gave us a really good price on a big painting because, as she told Tyler, "Your wife is a very nice woman."  Ya, who said nice guys finish last?  Before we left she says, "You must come see me before you leave.  You don't have to buy anything, but you should come back and say bye."  Next time I go there I will take a picture with her so y'all can see who I am talking about.
This is our painting =]  It is about 18" by 40" and it was made by a man in Mozambique.  We got it for about 13 dollars because Martha is so awesome.
This was actually made by a 14 year old girl.  There were ones with more panels, but they were super expensive.
      Other than that today has been pretty relaxed.  I have been reading a book and Tyler watched a movie.  Tyler made a really good dinner tonight!  He decided it was time to have some Mexican food so he made sinchronizadas again.  He even found some guacamole at the store AND it was surprisingly pretty good.  It obviously isn't as good as Laura's, but what is really?  The limes here are yellow, by the way.  At first I thought they weren't ripe or something, but Tyler said that in Mexico they are yellow too.  Side note: I have been swatting at this "fly" on the side of my neck for about 5 minutes only to find out it was my ponytail. 
     Now I am just hanging out waiting to skype Julia and Tyler is reading some sports thing as usual.  That's about it for now though.  Hamba Kakuhle.

No comments:

Post a Comment