Thursday 26 April 2012

A lot of information

     We actually covered a lot of information in class today.  I normally leave class feeling like we could have done at least another 20 minutes.  Since we learned about drinks yesterday, we learned about meat today.  But, before I talk about that I will mention that Tyler took his test today!!  This is what he said about his test, "Today's test was again pretty difficult but not as bad as the first one. I did study for 3 days straight leading up to the exam so it helped a little bit. It just doesn't make it easier when there are 7 different chapters of formulas to remember. Overall I think I did better." That's all he has to say about it.  Also, we had a super unhealthy dinner.  We made guacamole burgers with sauteed mushrooms.  Tyler's had sauteed onions and chiles as well.  Anyways, on to Xhosa!
Oh ya, we also made french fries.  =]
-Ubisi lwetshokholethi= Chocolate milk (I know I said this part was about food, but I have to include this little story.  Pumlani asked us what we drank this morning and I had a bottle of chocolate milk in class, so when he asked I just said Nidsela bisi which means milk.  He kept looking at me like I was supposed to say something else.  So, instead of torturing me very long he told me how to say it.)
-yimalini= How much money?
-imali= money
-Utya ntoni?= What are you eating now?
-Utye ntoni ekusini?= What did you eat this morning?
-Andityanga= I did not eat a thing.
-isonka= bread
-esimhlophe= that is white (as in isonka esimhlophe-bread that is white)
-daka= brown or dirty
-Wena umdaka= You are dirty.
-bhotolo= butter
-Isanka esinejem nebhotolo= Bread that has. jam and butter
-Qaba isonka ngebhotolo= Spread the bread with butter.
-esine= prefix that means "that has"
-esime=that is
-bilisa= boil
-iqanda= egg
-igembiza= pot
-iqanda elinye= 1 egg
-na= prefix meaning "and"
-Isonka neqanda elinye= bread and one egg
I know I said to say and the prefix is na and I know that I wrote neqanda instead of naqanda.  The reason is the word for egg is iqanda and because it starts with a vowel I can't add "na" to the beginning of it (remember: vowels never go next to each other in Xhosa).  So, what happens is when the a adds to the i it becomes an e.  Why?  I don't know, it just does.
-amaqanda amabini= 2 eggs
-ama= prefix meaning plural
-imifuna= vegetables (referring to the green vegetables, not carrots or anything like that)
-Ndtya imifuna kuphela= I eat vegetables only.
-inyama= meat
-Ndiyayithanda=I am going to break this word down.
---Ndi= I
---ya= am
---yi= it (the "it" will be referring to what the person is like)
---thanda= liking
-----So, Ndiyayithanda means I am liking it, but it's more of an extreme liking.
-Nidyayithanda inyama= I am liking (like, really really really really liking) the meat.
-Andiyithandi= I don't like it (as in extreme dislike)
-Inyama yantoni?= Meat from what?
-Inyama yenkukhu= the meat of a chicken
-Inyama yehagu= meat of a pig (pork)
-inyama yenkomo= the meat of a cow (steak)
-inyama yegusha= the meat of a sheep.
The Xhosa people do not eat lamb, or calves for that matter.  They do not believe in eating a younger animal because their theory is that if you eat the younger ones, then when the older ones die all the cows will be gone.  They also don't eat their animals with horns like deer, or I guess for them gazelle.  That is not specific to Xhosa culture that's apparently a law in South Africa.
-intlanzi= fish
-Yimalini iyama yegusha eSpar?= How much is the meat at the Spar?
-imingathe= carrots
-Ndipheka imingathe, imifuno, neyama yenkomo.= I cooks carrots, vegetables, and the meat of a cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment